For a one-page PDF, please email katherine[dot]ellen[dot]email@example.com
Reporter, POLITICO May 2021 to presen
- Covers the Food and Drug Administration for both POLITICO main and pro site, including breaking news and enterprise features. Beat includes tobacco regulation, user fee agreements, administration personnel and novel therapy approvals for Covid-19 and beyond.
- Contributes to various health care newsletters, including Prescription Pulse, Pulse and Afternoon Pulse. Additionally speaks on pro panels and podcasts as needed.
Reporter, Quartz September 2016 to April 2021
- Wrote three to five stories per week of various lengths. Primarily covered Covid-19, age-related health, neuroscience, and diversity in clinical research via a business lens. Occasionally covered environment and culture.
- Worked with growth team to develop main, social, and SEO headlines to maximize audience reach
- Collaborated with data and video teams for visual story telling
- Wrote obsession email newsletters
Previously promoted from:
Editorial Fellow, Quartz January 2016 to September 2016
Intern, Quartz May 2015 to August 2015
Intern, Nature Medicine September 2015 to December 2015
- Wrote 1,000 – 3,000 word features on topics including rare disease networks and the brain computer interface
- Wrote monthly biomedical briefings (150 words)
- Fact-checked monthly features
Managing Editor; Blogs and Copy Editor, Scienceline November 2014 to November 2015
- Ensured the publication of all Scienceline content; helped editors achieve short and long-term goals; assisted with content and copy editing when needed
- Edited blogs for content and AP style; edited news stories and features for AP style
Intern, OnEarth Magazine January 2015 to May 2015
- Blogged and fact-checked stories and graphics for Earthwire and onEarth magazine
Contributor, Mic May 2013 to August 2013
- Wrote two pieces a week on topics ranging from quantum computers to extremophile bacteria
Senior Opinion Editor and Chair of Editorial Board; Columnist The Hoya April 2011 to May 2014
- Organized and edited all pieces for a two-page section in the newspaper; oversaw final editing and post-scripting
- Recruited, interviewed and selected columnists and managed an editorial board of five members
- Wrote biweekly opinion column and explainers for Georgetown University’s student newspaper
Research Assistant, Georgetown University, Department of Government March 2013 to May 2014
- Conducted literature searches to track local and national politics across print journalism and television broadcast
- Edited manuscripts for organization and copy errors
Intern, U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Oceans, Environment and Science January 2013 to March 2013
- Drafted a report summarizing American innovation policy for use by foreign ambassadors
- Conducted research for Science Envoys program for American scientists to travel globally to promote diplomacy
Chair, Georgetown University Senior Ball, May 2013 – May 2014
- Managed an eight-person committee to oversee event with a budget of $700,000 for 6,700 guests
New York University Class of 2015 – New York, NY
Master of the Arts: Journalism; Advanced Certificate: Science, Health and Environmental Reporting (SHERP 33)
Georgetown University School of Foreign Service Class of 2014 – Washington D.C.
Bachelor of Science: Science, Technology and International Affairs Magna Cum Laude
Awards and fellowships
Journalists in Aging Fellow, Gerontological Society of America, 2019
National Press Foundation: Understanding the Latest on Dementia Issues, 2019
Mayo Foundation Journalist Residency, 2019
Mayo Foundation Journalist Residency: Behind the Scenes in Surgery, 2017
UMass Medical School Media Fellowship, 2016
National Academies Keck Futures Initiative Science Writing Scholar, 2015
Additional skills and interests
WordPress, social/SEO headline writing, basic Excel/Google Sheets, chart design (Datawrapper), Instagram.
Long-distance running (November Project), podcasts, live music, fiction, and bad reality television.